Installing and Using the USB Mobile Monitor
Device drivers are required to connect your PC to your Android device. Follow these steps to install the device drivers:
- Connect your device to the PC using a standard USB cable. If your PC is configured to automatically install device drivers and this is the first time you connect the device, Windows will start installing the default device drivers for the device. Allow the device driver installation to finish before going forward. If your PC is configured not to automatically install device drivers, proceed to the next step right away.
Download the USB Mobile Monitor installation package usbmmInst.zip
- When asked to Open or Save usbmmInst.zip, click on Open
- Inside the compressed usbmmInst.zip, you will find usbmmInst.exe, double-click on that file to start the Installation
- Follow the installation instructions. The screen will flicker during the installation of the drivers which is normal.
- The installer will ask you to unplug the device and plug-it back again, please do so.
- Click on Close to finish the installation. If the Android App is already installed on the device, your PC screen will appear on the device, if not proceed to the device installation step. If the PC screen does not appear on the device, a reboot of your PC might be required.
- On some occasions, MS Windows might overwrite the USB Mobile Monitor drivers with the device specific drivers. In this case, the PC screen will not show up on the device and it is sufficient to restart the installation process from step 2 without uninstalling the device drivers. You should also repeat the same installation steps when USB Mobile Monitor is used on the same PC but with a new device.
- To uninstall the USB Mobile Monitor, go to the control panel, programs and features, select USB Mobile Monitor and click uninstall. Alternatively, you can run Uninstall.exe directly from c:\users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\USB Mobile Monitor.
- To update to a newer version, always uninstall USB Mobile Monitor first, reboot your system (optional but recommended), then reinstall the new version using usbmmInst.exe.
Device Installation and operation
The device installation can be done before or after the PC installation by following these steps:
The following touch operations are possible when the PC screen appears on the device:
- Zoom-in/Zoom-out using two fingers
- Panning the screen using a single touch then moving the finger or pen
- A left-button mouse click occurs when quickly touching the screen
- A right-button mouse click occurs when touching the screen for a prolonged period of time
The device's menu button brings up five items:
- View/Hide keyboard. This is a toggle option to activate the keyboard and enter text directly on the PC
- Select Monitor. When the PC is configured for multiple displays, you can select which of the displays will appear on the device
- Send Ctrl+Alt+Del. Simulate this special key combination on your PC.
- Settings ... This option enables the user to adjust the image quality, change the PCs screen resolution or switch from mouse emulation to multi-touch emulation.
- About ... This option opens a window with various information about the USB Mobile Monitor.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
This section is being moved to our online forum with more details. Please check our forum at: https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=31
Problem 1) My PC has only one display, I would like to configure my device to work as a secondary display, how do I add the second display?
Solution) This subject is discussed in more details on our forum at https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3030. In the same forum post, you will find how to create a virtual monitor for Windows 10 and earlier to be used with USB Mobile Monitor.
Problem 2) After uninstalling the Windows drivers and the application from the device, the device keeps looking for the USB Mobile Monitor application. At the same time, the user cannot go back to the normal device operations such as copying files or using usb debugging.
Solution) This problem occurs when the USB Mobile Monitor Windows drivers have not been removed properly or when Windows cannot find the original drivers for the device. In order to resolve the situation, we created an automated tool that cleans up the Windows PC from any references to USB Mobile Monitor. In order to run this tool:
- Unplug your device from your PC
- Download cleanupusbmm.zip from our website http://www.amyuni.com/downloads/cleanupusbmm.zip
- Extract the 3 files that are contained in the package to the temp or any other folder
- Right-click on the file cleanupusbmm.bat and select "Run as Administrator"
- Attach the device to the PC and wait a few moments for Windows to recognize the device and reinstall the drivers
Problem 3) The application on the device shows "Waiting for USB Connection" but nothing else happens
Solution) This subject is discussed in more details on our forum at https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3030
Problem 4) The USB Mobile Monitor devices appear without errors in the Windows 10 Device Manager but nothing happens when the device is connected
Solution) The Windows drivers need to be updated to v188.8.131.52 or later which is available from https://www.amyuni.com/downloads/usbmm_drivers.zip. In order to update the drivers without reinstalling USB Mobile Monitor :
a. Extract the zip file containing the drivers to an empty folder such as c:\temp
b. Open "Device Manager" and expand the section "Display Adapter"
c. Right click on USB Mobile Monitor Mirror Driver and select "Update Driver Software".
d. Select the option "Browse my computer for driver software"
e. Browse to c:\temp\usbmmm and select the inf file that is located there, click on Next then Close
f. Expand the section "Universal serial Bus controllers"
g. Right click on USB Mobile Monitor Device and follow the same procedure that you followed above but choose usbmmu instead of usbmmm
Problem 5) The laptop screen is broken and I cannot start the installation, can USBMM be installed automatically?
Solution) Follow the instructions outlined on our forum (https://www.amyuni.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=3029) for details about silent installation
Questions or Comments?
Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org